All I need is vocabulary.

All I need is a year of Greek.

These are common misconceptions that lead to mistaken expectations about learning Greek.

Greek is not really a tool for Bible study.

I explain it all in this video, but let me unpack it here a little here too...

A tool is something you acquire and then use for a specific purpose. If Greek was a tool, we'd learn it and then we could use it to study the Bible.

But I'm convinced this is wrong, and sets wrong expectations for your study of Greek, in turn setting up students for disappointment and disillusionment.

Greek is not a tool, it is a skill, and as a skill it is something we develop and hone through a lifetime of use.

This means then that we don't just use Greek to study the scripture, instead, as we study Greek, we are studying scripture.

If you want to be able to faithfully study and teach the word of God, the more your knowledge of the language develops, the more your knowledge of scripture will develop with it. So, learning Greek means more than just learning vocabulary, or grammar; and it also means you can't just spend a year (or even two) studying it and then know enough to to "use" it well.

As you study the New Testament in Greek, you will also continue to develop your knowledge of the language.

Greek, like the scriptures is something you spend your life developing, and is driven by a desire to know Christ better.

For the full argument, I just released this video, which I encourage you to watch.
Image
Watch Now

Leave a comment and let me know if you agree with me or not, and if not why not. I really look forward to reading your thoughts!

Thanks for reading!

In Christ,
Darryl 

P.S. This week's video is here